Each student is required to have an adult participant. As a mentor who works with our students, you will have an Edina volunteer background check done, at a cost of $15, ensuring the safety of all of our children. If you have extenuating circumstances, contact FTCroboticsEDINA@gmail.com.
- Coding Mentor (at least 1 per team): Can attend most meetings, teaching Java coding on Android phones using Android Studio to control the robot. May order parts and submit receipts to team treasurer for reimbursement. Coding Mentor Instructions
- Building Mentor (at least 1 per team): Can attend most meetings, assisting with designing, engineering and building of the robot, ordering and organization of parts. Submit receipts for reimbursement in a timely manner. May include CAD. Building Mentor Instructions
- Portfolio/Engineering Notebook Mentor (1 per team): Can attend most meetings. Assists with the writing, editing and photography of the documents chronicling the team's activities. Manages student attendance, and sends a weekly update to the team. No engineering or programming experience needed. Portfolio/Engineering Notebook Mentor Instructions
- Presentation Mentor (1 per team): Can attend at least one hour of 4 meetings in late October - January. Assists students with the planning, script writing and practice of formal presentations about their activities for tournament judging, fundraising, and outreach events. Presentation Mentor Instructions
- Treasurer (1 per team): Periodically attends meetings. Collects and manages the team’s receipts, accounting and budget. Submits receipts for reimbursement and shares a running account of the team finances. Seeks approval from the FTC Coordinator for any expense beyond the budgeted amount. Treasurer Instructions
- Tournament Lunch Coordinator (1 per team) - Attendance at meetings not necessary. Ensures lunches are purchased for each team member at each of their tournaments. Procedures for purchase vary depending on the tournament host school. No experience needed.
- Outreach Mentor (1 per Competitive & All In Teams): Attendance at meetings as needed, in addition to periodic high level planning meetings. Monitors and coordinates any outreach events, large and small, with FTC and FRC over the year. No engineering or programming experience needed. Outreach Mentor Instructions
- Fundraising Mentor (1 per Competitive & All In Teams): Attendance at meetings as needed, in addition to periodic high level planning meetings. Assists with several fundraisers over the year, including Butter Braid. No experience needed. Fundraising Mentor Instructions
- Scouting Mentor (1 per Competitive & All In Teams): Attendance at meetings as needed, especially in late Oct - Dec. Attendance at all tournaments. Assist teams with collecting data before and during tournaments in order to make adjustments to their strategy, marketing the team to other teams and make alliance selections. Understanding of statistics would be beneficial.
- Parts Managers: Attendance at most meetings. Assist with the parts bank where teams can choose parts from a central store. Oversee parts inventory at the beginning and end of the season. No engineering or programming experience needed. Parts Manager Instructions
- Photographers - Attendance at meetings as needed, in addition to periodic high level planning meetings. Take formal and candid photographs at kickoff (individual, team, team+mentors, club, all Edina Robotics) that will be uploaded to Google Drive and send photos to the three yearbooks (SV, VV, EHS). Create a directory in Google Slides or Drawing. Take photos of robots in November. Photos should be in jpeg, not HEIC, so those with newer iphones need to change the setting on their phones. No engineering or programming experience needed. Photographer Instructions
- Special Events Mentor (several for the club): Attendance at meetings as needed, in addition to periodic high level planning meetings. Helps Club Coordinator plan and run two events: The beginning of the season Kick Off event in Sept. from 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM at Edina High School. The end of season Awards event will be in February from 6:00-8:00 at Edina High School. Labels and distributes t-shirts for distribution at kickoff in Sept. and the following meetings. No experience needed. Events Mentor Instructions
- Tournament Volunteer (several for the club) : Register and attend one High Tech Kids FTC training (2.5 hours) and a High Tech Kids FTC tournament (varies). A variety of roles are available. Tournament Volunteer Instructions